Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink for eight hours prior to the appointment. In select situations at your consultation appointment, your doctor may instruct you to drink only water up to two hours prior to surgery. You may not drink coffee creamer, juice with pulp, milk, etc within eight hours of surgery.
- You may have been prescribed specific medications to take prior to your surgery-please refer to your paperwork given at your consult for those instructions.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking prior to surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office or car during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, nail polish, or nail extensions/gel/acrylic on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Cudney or Dr. Ingoldsby prior to your surgical date for instructions.